Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Software Engineer’s Worst Nightmare

Forgetting passwords.

One fine sunny day I wake up in the morning at 8 as usual, hurry and scurry to reach office by 10, switch on my computer and it dutifully prompts to enter the bios password. I realize I can't remember it. Thanks to the infinite wisdom of the network department in keeping the bios passwords same for everyone, I ask my neighbor and move on till being stuck at my machine password. Under normal circumstances I keep it pasted on my desk, but today the chit is not there. Looks like the company’s clear desk policy has been extended to cover unnecessary (!) post-it stamps as well. Sigh. All in the game. So I contact the network guy and unlock my pc and try to get settled just like every other day – but today is just not another every other day – I open my lotus notes, and can't remember that password as well. Then I try and remember the name of the text file where I usually store my passwords, but I can’t recall it either. Logic tells me it has to be passwords.txt – so I search for the file and any other possible password file names that my follow-the-sheep-kind-of-mind can make up and think of, but all to no avail. Left with no other option, I again contact the network guy and reset my LN password. Next I can’t login to sametime connect also and again NG comes to my rescue (btw, he is highly frustrated with me by now).

And now I kind of get the picture, my worst fear has come true and I am not going to recall a single password today. Today all passwords have resolved to demonstrate their importance and conspired to vanish off my virtual/physical/temporary/permanent memory. I can even listen to them hissing this is just the beginning baby. Ha. Ha. Ha.

So.....that’s that. My gmail password is gone. I can’t login to gtalk. I can’t write blogs. I can’t view my pay slip. I can’t get my bills reimbursed. I can’t transfer funds. I can’t buy anything online. I can’t trade in shares. I can’t book tickets. I can’t read music reviews from my favorite site. I can't access my company website – means I can't do another universe of things like checking my work hours, leave balances, trainings, filling timesheets, etc etc. No orkut. No facebook. No shelfari. No twitter. No life. My day is as screwed as screwed can get. Lord save me and give me the strength and perseverance to reset all passwords.

This goes to all my passwords, I am sorry if I didn’t give you your much deserved attention and care, but now I have realized how important you all are. I will even count you in the basic necessities of life – air, water, food, shelter, clothes, ipod, laptop, books, television, internet, cellphone, PASSWORDS. I humbly request you not to repeat this tomorrow or day after or next year or ever again. Or least have mercy and go one at a time. Puh-leeeeeee-sss. Deal???

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Sampada. As I was going through your note, I was starting to count my own passwords, and wondering about the consequences for those that I cannot recall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well written, its day to day fight ;)

    ReplyDelete

All comments are welcome! But only those i like would get posted after moderation :)